My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
MissionsMisunderstood.com http://missionsmisunderstood.com
and be sure to update your bookmarks. Thanks!

Thursday, July 13, 2006

How Do You Know?

A few days ago, I took part in a great discussion about faith. A Catholic, an Atheist, an Agnostic, and I (sounds like the beginning to a bad joke) sat around a table in the smoking section of a cafe that was really too small to go to the trouble of designating "sections." We took turns sharing what we believed, but mostly what we didn't believe, and we let everyone speak their mind. After that, we sat in silence while we all processed how differently each of us approach and express our spirituality. The Catholic is religious, but hardly spiritual. The Atheist is spiritual, but in a soulful, dreadlocks and hemp poncho sort of way. The Agnostic is not so much religious as superstitious. As usual, I presented myself as spiritual but not religious. When I say it that way it makes me sound like such a rebel.

After the silence, the Agnostic (appropriately) asked us, "But how do you know?"

Looking back, I'm not exactly sure what she meant by the question. I guess I wasn't the only one guessing, though, because we each took turns answering a different version of it.

"You know a religion is right for you when it is such an influential part of your family and cultural history," the Catholic answered. "Common sense should give you some clues," said the Atheist, accidentally sounding snobbish. "You just know," was the only answer I could come up with. I immediately wished I had come up with something better, you know, more evangelistic.

But then I got to thinking, how do I know? Jesus is the Son of God. He is the Way to the Father. Salvation is found only in Him, and He came that we might have real life; I believe all of this to be true. But how do I know?

I know because I have been convinced by supernatural means. I believe something that is unbelievable because something unbelievable happened to me. I know I have been born again in the same way I know I was born physically. And I know because in Christ, I am not the person I would otherwise be. I know because God has opened my eyes to the spiritual reality.

The national language differentiates between two types of knowledge. One can "know" something in the factual sense of the word. I know where the bank is, I know my phone number, and I know how to drive a car. But there is also another type of knowing, one that explains one's relationship with the subject. This type of knowing starts with an introduction and deepens in familiarity through time and experience. I know the store keeper. I know the city.

Next time I sit down with the group of friends, that's the word I'm going to use, and that's what I'm going to tell them. "You know..." I'll say, "Ever since our talk about our faith a couple weeks ago, I've been thinking about that question..." And that's when I'll tell them how I know.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've been working on the meaning of the word "witness" recently. It seems I've misunderstood it to mean "tell people about Jesus," when it really should mean "see (witness) what God is doing and has done in your own life and experience, and bear a faithful testimony of what you have seen."

How do I know? Because He has called me to follow Him here, and here I am. Because I know who I was before He changed me, and I know who I am now. Because every time He says He will do something, He does.

I heard someone say it so appropriately once: How do I know Jesus is real? Why, I spoke with Him just this morning!